Forged By Fire
By Sharon M. Draper
Review by Khrysta P.
1. What is this book about? (who are the characters? When and where does it take place?)
This book is about a boy named Gerald who has to protect his little sister from their abusive stepfather and their substance abused mother. They can’t live with their loving Aunt because she died. Gerald must stand up to Jordan for not only himself bur for Angel.
2. Did you enjoy reading the book? If so, what did you like about it. If not, what didn’t you like about it?
I admired this book and I finished it in less than a day because I simply couldn’t put it down. I liked how strong the message was.
3. What was your favorite part or your favorite character? Why did you like that part or character?
My favorite part was when Jordan was convicted and sent to jail. Then when Angel didn’t have to worry or fear anymore as well as her brother. They finally felt safe and secure.
4. Did you relate to the story or any character? How did you relate?
I related to Angel mostly even though her brother and I shared some similarities. This is because she is the youngest and she’s been looked out for by her brother all her life. She looks up to him and I look up to my brother and love him more than anything, like her.
5. Would you recommend this book to someone else? Why would you tell them they should or should not read it?
I have been recommending it to people because of the powerful message it holds. Most kids can relate to it too. It really opens up your eyes to how you should be. As well as how any obstacle can be beaten and that’s what her brother and sister did.
6. What message do you think the author was trying to tell readers like you?
The author illustrated a powerful message by letting the reader into this dysfunctional families life. Then showing how anything can be overcome no matter what obstacles are in the way. Another one is how important it is to speak up.